Sunday, December 24, 2006

Broken Ornament (12/24/xx)

I had been there before but today was different. That ugly piece of beautiful lying naked on top of me. "Where will this go", I asked and he smiled. He pinned me down gently and bit my lower lip then whispered something in my ear. I couldn't make out of what he said but I knew it was a tacit suggestion to lie still. I could feel the cold wind piercing out of the broken glass of the window. I tried to look out but it was obstructed by an old austere Christmas tree covered with tacky ornaments. Some cracked, some stained and rusty. I studied the tree carefully hoping to find one fine ornament and I did. It was beautiful, well burnished, white and luminous. Hanging on the edge of an anemic branch. I was afraid it was going to fall. I felt a heavy breeze and the fortiuitous ornament landed on a dirty santa doll supported by yet another anemic branch. My teary eyes were pierced on the beautiful ornament. I didn't want it to break. I lied still and there it came. Another breeze.

Om supports RAINN

6 comments:

Itsnotme said...

What a beautiful microfiction story... it's only a paragraph but seemingly layered with a great deal of meaning. You should submit it to a publisher!

Mariam Aly Khan said...

I really like this. To me, it's the dichotomy about what a person has and what a person wants. What we have is not always as beautiful as an ornament that we desire. However, what we desire is not always attainable. The object that we desire may only just be a figment of our imagination or perhaps the object that we desire is our hope for the future.

keep writing...

Itsnotme said...

see?! your story is so rich that it holds the possibility of multiple, and equally meaningful interpretations.

Sonny Sultani said...

I like it!!! You need to find a publisher

aliG said...

i dont entirely know wha dichotomy means. i just read dick. dick is a bad word. simple thoughts. i hate A.D.D. sometimes the doctors tell me that attention deficit disor....hey look a birdie outside my window.

GalaxyofAngels said...

http://www.streets.org/newworld.html
Amazing example of how faith plays an integral role in social justice.