Friday, March 10, 2006

Absentee Chachu

I made a quick call to my brother in Pakistan yesterday and this little kid with the softest and most sweetest voice picked up the phone. It was my nephew of 5 yrs, he handed the phone to his dad telling him that its 'chachu'(uncle). This is probably the first time I heard that kid call me chachu and suddenly it hit me, that I have lost 5 years of my first ever nephew's life when he is growing up and learning things from every family member but me. He only knows me from all the pictures he has seen, which hasn't made him feel close enough to me to talk over the phone without shying away.

All of the sudden it made me realize all the responsibilities I have towards this kid and the role I should be playing in his life. Am I always going to be that absentee 'chachu' to my nephew and the rest of the new members of my dear family?

2 comments:

Raha said...

ohh my gosh..i totally know what you're going through. I am now a chachi to the three most adorable children ever...who actually call me "dulhaan chachi" hehe...and i spent a mere two weeks with them after my wedding and now i'm back in the states and i feel icky.

Icky because i felt that responsibility and that pyaar that you want to give them and how you don't want to miss one second of them growing up and now i'll have to :( becuase i'm here and they're over there.

I'm the absentee chachi...so you're not alone OM!

Anonymous said...

me too.. I know its very tough. I have a nephew and a niece and a sister, I have missed chunks of their lives too just like you. But I feel fortunate that I did get to see my niece and nephew this year, so now they recognize me when I call, they call me nishu tissue..:)
But you are def. not alone.